Friday, March 9, 2012

(Year 1, Day 38) - Shoe Review: Brooks PureCadence


REVIEW:  Brooks PureCadence

Its is official.  Brooks, a leader in running shoes, has released a line of minimalist shoes...known as the Brooks Pure line.  The line includes 4 shoes:

PureFlow:        Most 'minimal' of the 4 shoes.
PureGrit:         Trail Runner (more aggressive tread)
PureConnect:   Lightest and Most Flexible (good racing flat)
PureCadence:  Transition-to-Minimal Shoe (most support of the 4)

Why did I purchase the PureCadence over the other three models?
Since I began running, I have always worn trainers with a strong medial post.  So I did not want to go straight to a minimal shoe.  I think a slow transition would better avoid injury. 

What is a medial post?  The medial post is a dense (firmer) foam/rubber located in the sole of the shoe, on the inside of the foot.  Usually a darker color than the rest of the sole.  See the medial post in my old trainers, below.

So what does that firm piece of the sole do for you?  It keeps the foot from over-pronating.  Pronation occurs when your foot strikes the ground, and rolls inward.  Image on the far right is an example of over-pronation.


 Note how exteme his left foot is rolling to the right.  Putting an extra firm piece of foam under the inner foot keeps the foot from doing this.  Since I have been running in very supportive shoes for my entire running life I am worried that the muscles of my lower leg, which are activated during pronation, are probably under-developed.  Therefore, I am starting in the Cadence which have just slightly more support in this area.


So enough of that.  I have not yet run in the new shoes, but I am going to give my initial impression of some of the shoe's features.


THINGS I LIKE

1)  Less Heel

Probably the most exciting feature for me.  Now that I have eliminated heel-striking from my running stride, I am curious to see how these feel, as the heel is much less beefy.  Less Beef = Happy Knees


2)  4mm Heel-to-Toe drop

Second most exciting feature.  Heel-to-Toe drop refers to difference in height between the heel and toe of the shoe.  My old trainers around about 10-11mm.  The PureCandence is 4mm.  Standing in the shoes, this is probably the most noticeable feature. 

3)  Lightweight/Breathable

These feel very light compared to the old trainers...but still a decent sole on them.  There is definately more sole here than on my Asics flats...so hoping i can do some long runs.

THINGS I AM QUESTIONING

1)  Split Toe Box


This seems like a really cool idea...and was actually pretty excited about it.  The toe box is split, so that the big toe can function seperately from the rest of the foot...essentially giving you better 'feel' of the running surface.

Now that I actually have the shoe, I am a little bumbed as I cannot imagine I am going to feel this at all.  Looks more like a marketing scheme now.

2)  Support Band


 A supportive strap wraps around the shoe for support.  Again, seems like a marketing gimic.

3)  Kinked Laces


This seemed like the goofiest gimic of them all...but now I actually love them.  The laces are kinked so that they stay tied better.  Simple, it works, and i like it.

4)  Insert

I am quite scared in regards to the insert.  The inner part of the foot is extremely high...and is quite uncomfortable when walking around in them.  I can really feel this under my foot.  When I do not wear socks, it is incredible bothersome.  However, when I wear socks it feels a lot more comfortable.  Hope this doesnt ruin the shoe for me.

As i said, I have not run in them yet...but will be this week!  Pretty excited to see how they feel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment