Saturday, February 11, 2012

(Year 1, Day 10) - Daily Breakdown

For an overview of my entire 12-week training schedule, see my previous post.  Today's post will breakdown/explain the work week.






7-Day Weekly Layout
(1) Long Day
(1) Interval / Hill Day
(2) Medium Days
(2) Easy Days
(1) Rest Day

 
  


(MEDIUM/HARD)  I start off the week with a perfect example of cross training.  Cross training is all about one's personal preferences.  Who knows, you may enjoy running everyday...however, I do not.  Don't get me wrong, I love running.  However, I love overall health/fitness more.  Thats why you will see quite a bit of non-running working outs in my week.  If you take the same approach, you have to trust that your body is getting the work it needs...even tho you're not running 6 days a week.  Be confident! 

THIS IS NOT AN EASY DAY!  Every Monday I participate in a 1 hour spin class at my gym.  I have only taken classes at one gym...so I cant speak to how difficult they are across the board.  But these classes are quite intense, and count as a medium/hard day.  For me, they take the place of my Tempo Run.  You can get in a killer workout, without pounding the pavement.  If you are a gym member, and they offer spin classes, Check Them Out!


(EASY)  "Stength training is a waste of time.  Runners dont need to lift weights.  Blah Blah Blah"  shutup.  If your sole interest in life is running, by all means, don't lift weights.  But I highly recommend, to anyone interested in their long-term health, to start a strength training regimen. 

I began lifting while in college, and fell in love with it.  Unfortunately, I have a severe case of golfer's & tennis elbow...so I may be suspending most of my lifting over the next few weeks. 

For now, due to the upper body injuries, i have decided to suspend all upper body lifting (except for rotational shoulder cuff exercises needed to rehab my shoulder impingement).  So Tuesday will be a Leg/Core/Shoulder day.


(EASY/MEDIUM)  Holy heck, I'm runnin!  Wednesday runs vary from 4 to 5 miles.  This is mostly an easy day.  Days labeled as "Pace" are to be run at my 1/2 marathon goal-pace.


If anyone is interested in a group run, message me about 'runClub'.  We meet every Wednesday night...rain or shine...all year round.


(HARD)  If you're new to running, you may not incorporate intervals into your weekly routine.  For those of you who are new to running, an interval workout is comprised of short (but fast) bursts of running...with walking or jogging recoveries between each short burst.  I like to do these workouts on a track.  If you are comprehensive about running at a track, try to avoid busy times of the day; go on weekends, or late evenings (school sports will usually be on the track around 3-6 on weekdays, as well as Saturday mornings).


Intervals are great for a number of reasons.  For those who are really looking to improve their racing times, intvals will get you running fast.  For those who are using running as a way to either lose weight or stay in shape, your body will get used to doing the same medium-paced runs everyday.  Intervals are the perfect remidy to confuse/shock your body...and boost your metabolism (and drop pounds).


REMEMBER:  Make sure you are fully warmed up before intervals.  My warm up: run a 1 mile acceleration, 10-15 minutes of stretching, a couple striders.



(REST)  One of the most important days of the week.  Your body needs to recover.  Your muscles need time to repair the muscle fibers you are tearing with working out.  PLEASE REST.


(MEDIUM)  Another great example of incorporating the activities you love into your training schedule:  I play ice hockey every Saturday evening.  Pretty tough games make for an Easy/Medium Day.  I will replace with an easy 3-4 mile run on days that hockey gets canceled.


(HARD)  Probably the most important day of the week.  Sundays are reserved for Distance/Long runs.  When looking at my schedule, you will see these runs as an overall time, rather than mileage.  Depeding on speed, the 2 hour runs will end up being longer than 13.1 miles.  If you are little newer to running, stick with set miles for long runs (see Mandy's schedule).  You do not need to kill the long runs.  Pick an area that you enjoy running, and just get the mileage in.  Its all about putting miles on your legs.


When looking at my schedule, long runs marked with a "3 / 1" are meant to be run as a normal distance run for the first 3 quarters...then cranked up to half marathon race pace for the final quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment